Skateboarding has been on my thoughts for many years. Although I began skateboarding once I was 9 years outdated (and cherished it then), I finished after a few years as a result of none of my mates might skate. For a lot of, a few years, I didn’t know easy methods to get again into it, and I regretted all that misplaced time. I didn’t know I had ADHD till I used to be in my late 20s (I’m in my 40s now), however, on reflection, I see how my ADHD mind was caught on determining the place to start and easy methods to simply “do the factor.”
I discovered my means again to skateboarding in 2020. In the course of the pandemic, my husband determined he needed to be taught to skateboard. Then our daughter acquired into it. Then our son. So our household hit the skateparks.
That’s how I discovered Telma and Wealthy and the Later Skaters Gang, an grownup skate motion that began in Toronto (the place I dwell) and is now international. Oorbee Roy, who has change into a TikTok sensation as “Aunty Skates,” is one other Later Skater good friend of mine. At 47, she drops into enormous bowls and shreds her yard mini ramp, generally whereas sporting a sari.
At 43, I’m ecstatic to be skating once more. Not simply because it’s a enjoyable option to train, however as a result of it’s extremely therapeutic.
9 Methods Skateboarding Steadies My ADHD Mind
1. Regular dopamine hits maintain me motivated. Skating forces me to decide on one small aim to attain and have a good time at a time. The dopamine rush I get once I land a trick retains me motivated and centered on the subsequent step.
[Get This Free Download: 15 Health and Fitness Tips to Target ADHD Symptoms]
2. There are serotonin hits, too. Skating outdoor within the contemporary air and daylight provides me a lift of serotonin and uplifts my temper.
3. I relish the endorphin launch. The bodily act of driving round on my skateboard releases feel-good hormones that scale back stress and even present ache aid for my joints.
4. I work out my cerebellum. I’m not pulling off kickflips or carving large bowls but. However I’m bettering my steadiness and management over the board, which works out my cerebellum. A stronger cerebellum may end up in improved consideration, focus, and emotional management.
5. I’m creating friendships and strengthening connections. I attempt to be a part of as many Later Skater meetups as I can. I get a launch of oxytocin as I bond with this constructive neighborhood of skaters. They remind me that all of us battle detrimental self-talk and psychological blocks. And so they cheer me on and supply suggestions to assist me progress. It’s means simpler to remain motivated and constant once I’m having a blast on my board with mates.
[Read: How to Make Friends as an Adult — A Guide for Women with ADHD]
6. I get to expertise a wholesome adrenaline rush. Like many individuals with ADHD, I’m drawn to threat and pleasure. And skateboarding brings the precise stage of thrill-seeking. I’ll fall as I maintain skateboarding. However studying easy methods to fall safely provides me the braveness to maintain progressing to the subsequent stage.
7. I could be inventive. After I’m on my skateboard, I’m making inventive choices and carving my very own path. It’s exhilarating to juggle so many potentialities.
8. I can hyperfocus. We’ve gone so far as to have a mini ramp inbuilt our basement so we are able to skateboard at house. I used to be frightened we wouldn’t use it sufficient, however we do, and we’ve invited a number of Later Skater mates over for periods. (Thanks, Pete, for serving to me with rock to fakies and tail stalls!)
9. I get caught — and unstuck. Skateboarding has helped me bodily, mentally, and socially. However even with all the nice, and after making so many new skate mates, I generally nonetheless really feel caught — in my head or prior to now. I’ll be totally padded and skating across the park a bit, solely to cease and watch everybody else shred. When this occurs, I give myself a jolt. What’s the Later Skaters Gang about? “Regardless of the age or ability stage, it’s all about little wins, a love of skateboarding and having enjoyable.”
It’s By no means Too Late — for Skateboarding or Something Else
Regardless of my hiatus from skateboarding, the game by no means really ended up in my graveyard of deserted pursuits. It is not going to be buried alongside bowling, stamp accumulating, and Mid-century trendy furnishings restoration.
I by no means imagined I’d be spending my 40s connecting with individuals from all around the world who share a love for skateboarding. However right here I’m. I even acquired to seem in an epic video by Later Skaters Gang known as These Are the Moments, that includes 120 skaters and their skate clips from 2022. There I’m for a few seconds, trying a 50-50 on just a little ramp on the skatepark. May not appear to be a lot, nevertheless it was a private win for me. And a reminder to get pleasure from all of the little moments, to only maintain pushing.
Consider me, it’s by no means too late to skate — or to search out what helps you thrive. As my Aunty Skates T-shirt jogs my memory: “It’s by no means too late to dwell your greatest life!”
Skateboarding, Wellbeing, and ADHD: Subsequent Steps
Myra is a spouse, mom, and instructor from Toronto who likes to write about #theBIGinSmallThings. When she’s not looking for her keys or pockets, Myra loves ingesting bubble tea and skateboarding together with her household.
Thanks for studying ADDitude. To assist our mission of offering ADHD training and assist, please consider subscribing. Your readership and assist assist make our content material and outreach potential. Thanks.