Toddlers transition from 2 naps to 1 nap round 15-18 months outdated, on common, after which will sleep 11-12 hours at night time plus 2-3 hours through the day. This text will let you know easy methods to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap primarily based on my 15+ years as an toddler and toddler sleep marketing consultant.
When Do Toddlers Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap?
As I discussed above, most toddlers will transition from 2 naps to 1 nap round 15-18 months outdated, on common. Nonetheless, in my a few years as a sleep marketing consultant, I discover many 13-14-month-olds are able to transition. There are just a few essential particulars to concentrate to earlier than you do the transition.
How Do You Know It’s Time to Transition to 1 Nap?
Though we now have an in depth article with the indicators to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap, right here’s a quick abstract:
- It seems like you’re “working out of daytime” for 2 naps. If nighttime sleep has dropped under 10 hours and you are feeling squeezed for time, it’s most likely time to transition.
- Your toddler has a cut up night time, that means they’re awake and alert for 1-3 hours in the midst of the night time.
- In case your toddler is skipping certainly one of their naps 4 or extra instances per week, it may be time to transition to a 1-nap schedule.
- Lastly, in case your toddler’s bedtime rivals your individual or they’ll’t go to sleep till very late at night time, it may be that their final wake window of the day has gotten too lengthy for a 2-nap schedule.
Learn how to Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap: 3 Strategies
There are a number of methods to transition naps and there isn’t a one-size-fits-all strategy that’s proper for each youngster. Even kids throughout the similar family would possibly do it in several methods. Listed below are 3 methods you are able to do this essential transition so you may get it proper on your youngster:
Methodology 1: Squeeze the First Nap
In case your toddler tolerates being woken up from a nap, you may strive squeezing the primary nap out so the second nap turns into their noon and solely nap. To squeeze the primary nap out, you begin by steadily decreasing the morning nap till it’s a catnap. Then encourage a 1-2-hour noon or afternoon nap. Right here’s an instance:
Instance of Shortening the Morning Nap
Day 1: Morning Nap = 50 minutes, Afternoon Nap = 1 hour 30-50 minutes, Whole = 2 hours 20-40 minutes
Day 2: Morning Nap = 45 minutes, Afternoon Nap = 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours, Whole = 2 hours 30-45 minutes
Day 3: Morning Nap = Half-hour, Afternoon Nap = 2+ hours, Whole = 2 Half-hour to three hours
Finally, you’ll cease providing the morning nap once you suppose your toddler is prepared.
- Toddlers who tolerate being woken up from a nap
- Toddlers who nonetheless have a shorter (3 to three.5-hour morning wake window)
- Toddlers who’re skipping their afternoon nap however not prepared for a 1-nap schedule
- Your toddler should still skip their afternoon nap even with a brief morning nap by which case you’d observe Methodology 3 under.
- Your toddler may be overtired after a brief morning nap after which take a brief afternoon nap. Give it just a few days earlier than you reevaluate. They could merely want to regulate.
Methodology 2: Squeeze the Second Nap
With this technique, your objective is to steadily transfer the morning nap to later till it turns into the one-and-only nap. To implement this technique, you begin shifting the primary wake window later within the morning by 15-Half-hour on daily basis or each different day. Then permit the nap to be so long as your toddler needs. Provide a second nap after a 4-hour wake window. If it’s getting too late within the day, shorten this nap till it’s a 30-45-minute catnap (if that’s a difficulty.) Right here’s an instance:
Instance of Shifting the Morning Nap Later
Day 1: Morning Wake Window = 3.5 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (Be aware: Bedtime would possibly briefly get late)
Day 2: Morning Wake Window = 3.75 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours
Day 3: Morning Wake Window = 4 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (think about shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours
Day 4: Morning Wake Window = 4.25 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (think about shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (if afternoon nap occurred)
Day 5: Morning Wake Window = 4.5 hours, Afternoon Wake Window = 4 hours (think about shortening this nap), Bedtime Wake Window = 4 hours (if afternoon nap occurred)
Day 6: Morning Wake Window = 4.75 hours, Bedtime Wake Window = 4.5 hours (no second nap)
Finally, the primary nap will get late sufficient and lengthy sufficient that the afternoon nap received’t be taken or it is going to be too late within the day to supply it. In case your toddler is usually taking a day nap and never on different days, provide bedtime earlier on these days (~6:30 or 7:00 PM).
- Toddlers who do NOT tolerate being woken up from naps (cranky and fussy)
- Toddlers who skip the afternoon nap a number of days per week regardless of how quick or lengthy the morning nap is
- Toddlers with lengthy morning wake home windows, already
- Toddlers who would possibly take a brief morning nap because the wake window will increase
- Your toddler would possibly drop the afternoon nap in a short time
- Your toddler may take a brief morning nap, nonetheless, the afternoon nap permits them to catch up earlier than bedtime that night time, one of many advantages of this technique
- Your toddler would possibly take two quick naps, as an alternative, however that is momentary and a part of the transition in some instances.
Methodology 3: Abrupt Change of the Schedule
The ultimate technique is solely to maneuver your toddler to a 1-nap schedule abruptly. Normally, if we do that it’s as a result of the morning wake window is already 4 hours (or longer) and the toddler is already skipping their afternoon nap most days. OR the toddler awake for an extended time period in the midst of the night time (insomnia). With this technique, you merely cease providing the second nap, transfer the primary wake window to 4 1/2 to five hours, and encourage not less than a 2+ hour nap.
How Lengthy Does it Take to Transition From 2 Naps to 1 Nap?
Typically talking, it takes roughly 2-3 weeks to transition from 2 naps to 1 nap. As well as, your toddler would possibly want two naps a couple of times per week whereas they transition. This may curb among the overtiredness.
Some days could also be higher than others but it surely’s frequent, and anticipated, for overtiredness to happen. We are able to’t all the time keep away from that however after just a few weeks, your toddler ought to alter. That’s, they’ll alter offered they’ve the suitable 1-nap schedule for a toddler. Make certain you alter it to suit your youngster!
I hope this text has helped you together with your toddler’s schedule! If you happen to want any assist, you already know the place to show.